Friday, December 12, 2008

The Surgery

This morning marks 48 hours that we have been in the hospital. Trae seems to be returning to his normal self-not sleeping well and constantly asking to go home, or asking for whoever isn't here at the moment.
The surgery itself seemed to be successful, according to our surgeon, Dr Fortuna. The goal basically was to remove the thickened tissue on his septum in the left ventricle and that would be able to help the mitral valve function like it was suppost to, with minimal leaking. The doctor told us that before they closed his chest, they knew it was successful.
Trae himself has been recovering well. He took 4 walks down the hallways yesterday, crying through each one. Every time someone told him how great he was doing, he told them, "No I'm not! Don't say that!" That sounds like Trae! :)
As far as Chad and I, we are surviving. Chad has been fighting a terrible cold, so I told him to get some Nyquill and go home to sleep last night. I know he needed sleep more than anything. I escaped for about 2 hours yesterday to go home for a shower, but I've been sleeping in a rocking chair next to Trae's bed. And since Trae isn't sleeping well, neither am I. That's ok though. I'll catch up on sleep when we go home. I'm sure he will too.
So, I'm really doing ok here. Being in nursing school has made me want to learn as much as I can while I'm here, so I keep bugging the nurses with questions about what they're doing. I've only spent 2 days in the cardiac ICU, but never in the peds, so a lot of this stuff is new to me. Part of me feels guilty, like I should forget about learning right now and focus on Trae, but the nursing side of me can't shake the questions! There is still so much to learn! I can't help it!
More updates to come...

No comments: